Autumn is one of the most popular months of the year for portrait sessions which is why October has been named as the official family portrait month. After all, nature is doing its thing with all those vibrant colors, plus you get a chance to really play up your wardrobe with accessories in the crisp weather. You also have the opportunity to prep and purchase the most memorable of Christmas gifts, by giving the gift of portraiture.
For the very best session, we recommend that you follow these seven tips:
- Make use of accessories and clothing that play up the “autumn” feeling. For example, opt for leather boots, cable knit scarves and comfy cardigans, all of which look amazing on the whole family and can really bring a picture to life. Tip: neutrals do really well in the fall against all that foliage.
- Timing is everything. Start paying attention to that shift in weather as summer melts into fall. Once the leaves start changing, call us and book that session. I know that I like to plan fall sessions, so chances are I’ve got a session ready for you.
- Location is everything. If it’s autumn, you better believe we’re playing outside in the gorgeous weather. At Shine Photo we have a 16 acre farm that features tall trees, long grasses, old buildings, rustic fences, a full size barn and rooms full of props! It’s a great place for a beautiful fall session, but I’m also open to your suggestions. As well we have fully studio in Thunder Bay and can even put a Rockwell-like portrait together for you one person at a time. Watch for details on our Heirloom Fall Portrait Series!
- Plan for a mid-afternoon to early-evening session, when the light is just gorgeous. The days are shorter in the fall, so we need to plan accordingly to get that golden hour light.
- Play in the environment. Chances are there are leaves on the ground or a few buds lingering around. I may have you throw leaves up into the air or something similar. Remember, this shoot is all about capturing your family bond and having fun, so let loose and get into the season! No stress allowed. Our sessions typically run 60-90 minutes, so allow yourself the time to be in the moment.
- Pack the necessities. It can get chilly in autumn, so you may want to bring some necessities on hand. I recommend a lip balm, moisturizer, warm packs for your hands, tissues, and, of course, warm apparel.
- Wear comfortable shoes and accessories. Since we’re going to be outside, we’ll probably do lots of walking. If those boots look amazing, but kill your feet, scratch them. If the scarf looks adorable on Timmy, but it’s scratches his face and makes him unhappy, it’s better left at all.
We’re looking forward to meeting many new families this season. Will you be one of them? Call us at 631 5162 to reserve your session.